Sunday, November 15, 2015

Pro-Creativity in the land of Massive Consumerism

This year, for the holidays I am giving all the people in my life on Solstice and Christmas 2 poems. I know it seems kind of 8th grade, but writing poetry has been a source of great joy or at least it has been consoling.

Lots of folks do not like poetry and I get it. I rarely read poetry and as a teacher once said, it is a rich diet. I write it but I do not read much of it. The gift of these two I will give are in the spirit of DIY, anti shopping, pro creativity and all of that.

 The people do not have to like them but I hope they will understand that now in my 30s I would rather conjure a present from the fairly prolific list of poems I have under my belt than buy little trinkets nobody needs and hardly even likes.

I have been fortunate enough to get really positive feedback about my writing, thus boosting my confidence and make me want to do what I will do this year.

I encourage others to get on this boat. Not buying gifts is a great way to go. It is often less trouble than you think and if more of us did this we would have fewer contributions to consumer culture and more spontaneous and fun creative alternatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment