Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Reality Time

Part 1

Writer Coach Connection is a real volunteer organization I worked for, and I had a badge and everything. I went back to my old high school, which has been remodeled, and sat down with students to help them with writing. I had no other job and was counting on a testimonial for my resume.

My badge said my name, and that I was a "Contractor" This sounds better than "Volunteer".

By the time I was about to move on, I asked the Director, let's call her Eileen Mickson, for a few helpful words on my resume or testimonial.

She refused to give me a referral or a good word and refused to tell me why, only to allude at it being some thing I did wrong with students.

She never stopped me while I was working with students, so she exploited my time and services, and then let me go without telling me why or the equivalent of severance pay, which would be a few good words about my work.

She has no reason to deny me the acknowledgement for my good work, I still have handwritten notes from 9th graders who really liked working with me. Eileen will have a chance now to right her wrong. Obviously, she has been wrong all these years. She must want redemption.

I ran into her today and it triggered me. I wanted to let her have it, but instead I gave her my business card, which I feel was the Great Spirit intervening and guiding me.

No comments:

Post a Comment