Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Freedom to choose and human rights

Recently, I made a choice that reverberates off of the walls of my surroundings. I say this in such an epic manner because I must declare how incredibly blessed I feel that I have access to the resources I do, in this case, it is good health care and the freedom to choose.

As a woman, I am familiar to all kinds of expectations placed upon me by society at large. I buckle under the pressure of some of them at times and at other times I am rebelling out right, head held high.

One major decision every fertile woman encounters, whether she wants to or not, is the decision to become a mother. She is faced with the idea of being pregnant, giving birth and then having the baby in all its dependent glory. Some women are incredibly enthusiastic about wanting this, while at the other end of the spectrum, women feel like they want to do anything they can to prevent it!

I am of the mind that I will do anything I can to prevent pregnancy. I will not share reasons, that is too personal, but I will reveal that I have had a surgery now that ensures I will not have to worry about it.

I do this with the awareness hovering of women who are not blessed in the same way, who, whether through the pressure put on them or any number of factors, cannot choose what I did, even if they truly want a choice.

My fervent hopes are burning bright for all women to have a choice, and access to the health services needed.

If you are with me in this creation of hope, please do what you can to support women who choose to refrain from giving birth so that every child truly is prepared for and wanted. This way those who are born will benefit from being born to a woman who was utterly certain she wanted a child and all that comes with raising the child. 

Our world truly needs this and only when this happens in every community will we have a world that is moving toward committing to the basic human freedom and dignity for all women, that is not a privilege but a human right.

No comments:

Post a Comment