Wednesday, May 7, 2014

from January 1996-- happy that way

slick pavement underfoot
makes for risky walking
and dangerous drives
the moon filters thin winter light
through naked branches
sub zero beauty
when I brave the cold
I think of those who live or die in it
when I see my breath
exhale into a grey stream
I shiver at the thought of never
being in your arms again
I blow into my cupped palms
to thaw my face
snow falls
resembling us
papery thin and temporary
ignorant of what it all means
and happy that way
take me away
from anymore unnecessary knowledge
protect me from the bitter temperatures
of loneliness
all the shades of solitude reflected
in breath we can see
they mingle into one stream
and I am comforted half way
the rest uncovered might
freeze from exposure

No comments:

Post a Comment