Friday, January 8, 2021

How do I start my shadow work?

 If you are someone who knows about shadow work, and wants to find a place to start when it comes to diving into it, I would be honored to help you begin. The methods I use could be considered therapeutic but this is not therapy. at least not the traditional kind.

It will be powered by your will and desire to integrate shadow content with your light within, in order to bring you deeper understanding of your human condition. You do not need to tell anyone about this but you can if you wish to. This is for your healing process, not an ego driven checklist of spiritual tasks that you will use to craft an identity suited to please others. This is For You. 

One of the best ways to start is with compassion. You will need compassion for all of your shadow work and I intend to help you direct it toward yourself! Some might be great at this and have already practiced it. Others will have some trouble with it. I will try to write out the first exercise mindful of the many levels that varying folks are at. 

Start with a story from your past, and a version of yourself that you have trouble with. This will be a part of yourself and your journey you probably have never told anyone about but that still haunts you. I am speaking of painful times, ones where you felt loss, anger, betrayal, jealousy, embarrassment and shame or many other possible discomforts. It does not matter if you caused the problems or if trauma happened to you, in both cases you can apply what I suggest. 

Exercise 1:

Carve out at least 20 minutes for yourself, get comfortable and make sure you won't be bothered. 

Call to mind that version of you, it can be from the past or even the present. Get familiar with that version, what does he or she look like, feel like, and where is he or she? Find her or him as the inner light of guidance within yourself. Find her or him and sit with your version. Walk with him or her. Does he or she have anything to say to you? Since this is you, you will know how the version feels. Ask him or her what she or he wants from you.

In many cases you can create an energy blanket of love to drape around his or her body. Fill that blanket with love, compassion, and forgiveness. Tell this version you know they did the best they could at the time with the tools they had. Gently tell them they will get more tools to handle their challenges if they need them. Spend some time with this version. Listen to what they say and watch what they do, if anything. No matter what, share your compassionate energy with them. 

At this point, you can get specific about what happened to cause the pain or problems. Be totally honest, this is conversation between your self and another part of your psyche, so you cannot really hide. The integrating process can only happen when the honesty is complete and total in every way.

Example:

Present version: I know I could not have protected you/us when the trauma occurred but I am here now and I can help you with my own strength and compassion. As you heal, so will I. 

younger self: I want to trust that but I still feel unsafe. I still feel like I will be hurt again.

Present: I hear you and I hold you in a powerful space of love and grace. I have learned new tools to help keep both of us safe. 

younger: I am listening but still unsure. I want to believe you. 

Present: I will show you over time that we will get better and be ok. Someday we will even thrive. But for now, I will keep visiting you in my heart and thanking you for shielding me in a way you never should have had to do. 

End of Exercise 1.

The point to this is to not go too fast or do too much right away. I hope this makes sense to you and that you get something good out of it. 

If you want more content like this and healing practice information visit me at

www.imayasmodalities.com


No comments:

Post a Comment