Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Tara

Way back in the beginning of this blog, I explained that Tara's Tongue is named partly for the Goddess of Compassion. I have been giving much thought lately to who or what I think she is. I was raised in an Alternative Faith Tradition, which I will not really go into now, I am only mentioning it to point to a familiarity with the idea of Goddesses.

Faith and practice are separate but very connected. What you believe directly affects what you practice, or do not practice. Like most folks, I work on figuring out what I believe over many years and by trying out different practices. For some folks, this all seems very simple. The truth is such and such, that is all, there is no more to it. Move on. For me, the subtleties, nuances and complexities that are present in spiritual awareness cause me to constantly edit what I was thinking in order to update it to what I currently think. The practice that seems to stay consistent with all the shifting that goes on is compassion. That does not go away. It seems so vital and necessary, and the way I see it, compassion is directly connected to intelligence.

This relates to Tara's Tongue because one of my ideas is that the language of compassion is a language unto itself. Maybe one name for it would be Tara's Tongue, specifically, the mother tongue of our species is inherently a compassionate one. Infants of our species have innate understanding of compassion and a deep need for it. As anyone, who knows anything about human development; will know, without loving touch, without being held for a good part of each day, an infant will suffer terribly and in some cases, may even die. This blog is in many ways a devotional work, the content therein being devoted to the spirit energy of compassion manifested in us and beyond us.

As far as Who or What Tara is, this question is still very much up for debate. The story that seems likely to me is that there is an archetype; meaning : A very typical example of a certain person or thing, or: An original that has been imitated. Maybe she is an archetypal energy found in many places- inside ourselves and each other, in other spirits perhaps, in the water, in the soil and that which nourishes us, that has been so compelling to us that we as Humans, needed to give it a name and honor it as a deity, a Great Goddess. This seems most possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment