Friday, March 11, 2011

short essay on energy work (under construction)

For all people who claim to do "energy work" and the types of "healing" that fall under the shamanic category in the modern world, in the modern sense of that word, inevitably run into the problem of articulating clearly what this actually means to the layperson. What is an energy work session? Who is qualified to do energy work? What does it involve? Are there people with significantly, markedly better energy than others? Are these people somehow better than those with "bad" energy? Who determines these parameters? Can someone have conflicting energies within them and still be a good, solid energy worker? Obviously, I do not have all the answers to this questions but I pose them for a reason. We must, in our communities, I assert, start to ask and answer them for ourselves.

I had a discussion with a friend recently about this topic as it intersects with a few others. We were deconstructing what had happened at and after an event we had attended.

I was somewhat outraged by the fact that integrity seemed, in my view to be lacking.

I feel that any person who puts themselves in a position of facilitating, shifting, changing, working on a plane outside of the mundane in order to affect a person who is in the role of the one who is changed or shifted, there needs to be a certain level of protocol. The main reason I assert this when it comes to any sort of seemingly miraculous change or "spontaneous" healing  is that while the people involved might seem this as harmless, I see some unavoidable problems.

The protocol people may set up in these settings may vary but the component of consent is the first and most consistently needed piece. My question to my friend, who had a good experience at this event, was this: How can you consent to a certain kind of change if you have not had the procedure of magic or whatever it may be called, explained to you? I become incredibly suspicious of people who skip that step.

Personally, I want this act of magic or lack of magic, whatever they say, broken down into regular speech, explained coherently.

No comments:

Post a Comment